Get Rid of Attic Mold

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Get Rid of Attic Mold

This article was written with the intention of helping the reader develop an understanding on how to test and detect mold in attics. This article will also shed some light on the affects of molds growing in attics and on the affects of mold on structure integrity of roofs and shingles. In addition, this article will help the reader with some general information and advice on procedures that are designed for the treatment and removal of attic mold.

Mold, in most cases, can be removed from hard surfaces with a stiff brush, using bleach, soap and water. Porous or absorbent type material with mold growth typically requires a commercial EPA approved mold killer designed to kill attic mold and mildew. You may be required to remove and replace all of the damaged area affected in the attic keeping the mold contained in the attic area.

The first step in the treatment of mold and the remediation process is to control the source of moisture or water. Once the source of water or dampness causing the growth of mold in your attic is contained, you will need to ascertain the level of damage and determine the extent of attic mold.

If you are novas to attic mold and remediation, you should consider contacting a professional attic mold remediation company and a professional air quality control company. These companies are professional companies that work daily in the field of attic mold and attic air quality on a regular basis. They have a great deal of experience in recognizing attic mold spores, toxic mold, mildews and air quality problems that may be affecting your attic contributing to your mold problem.

Insulation that is damp or wet should be removed and discarded immediately. Even if the insulation is dry, microscopic mold spores will remain in the attic for years to come. Inspect the attic for hidden areas of dampness or mold growth. Rusty shingle nails are sighs that water is seeping through the shingles and wood creating dampness in the attic area.

Attic venting is very important; make sure that bathroom fans, kitchen fans and dryer fans are vented properly into the outside environment and not into the attic. Venting into the attic will most certainly create a moist, damp environment cause attic mold to grow. Mold testing of the area and determining the types of mold that exist should be performed by a professional and re-tested every six months or so until you are certain the attic mold has been removed and the remediation is complete.

With reference to attic mold, basement mold and health affects concerning the exposure to molds and mildews on humans are not completely understood, not all people are affected by mold and mildews. However, in some cases where people are more sensitive to mold and mildews, symptoms such as nasal passage stuffiness, eye irritations and asthma can arise, causing discomfort and require medical attention.

The Institute of Medicine completed a study in 2004 concerning molds and mildews and the effects on humans. Researchers found that there was evidence that indicated that overexposure to indoor mold could lead to cold and flu like symptoms ranging from wheezing to respiratory infections and in cases where people suffering from depressed immune systems, exposure to molds could lead to even more serious conditions and possibly resulting in medical attention or even death. Researchers also found that children that were otherwise healthy, when subjected to indoor mold and mildew over exposure, could also develop repertory problems.

Remember, the use of protective gear when working with any chemical is always advisable. Approved goggles and face mask should be used when attempting to clean mold, mildew and fungus. The loose particles from scrubbing can become airborne and can be ingested causing illness.

By: Bradley Skierkowski