Health Affect of Mold

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Health Affect of Mold

In this article we will discuss some of the health affects of mold and the human body. In the event that the reader believes they or someone they know has been exposed to black or toxic mold, they should seek out medical attention immediately and call a professional mold remediation specialist for proper inspection and mold testing.

We are surrounded by mold and mildew, it is everywhere and mold has been around since the beginning of time. Mold is part of our natural environment; it plays a significant part in our eco system breaking down and digesting dead organic matter keeping our planet clean. Mold only needs food and water to survive, it originates from microscopic spores that float through the air seeking out wet damp areas with a food source such as cellulose found in materials such as paper, wood and carpet just to name a few.

The key to toxic mold control is to eliminate the water source. Without water (humidity and dampness) mold is incapable of growing. Spores are unable to come into contact with water will not be able to grow thus eliminating mold growth. The food sources for mold can be found everywhere; on wood, paper, carpets and anything containing cellulose are the most common. So the only logical approach is to address the control of water in our environment thus controlling the growth and spread of mold.

Health risks are a serious concern for family members and pets. In 1999 The Mayo Clinic performed a study using patients with chronic sinus infections. The results are staggering, in the fact that over 37 million Americans suffering from chronic sinus infections were the direct result of molds. USA Today reported a 300% increase in asthma cases over the past 20 years directly related to the increases of mold cases. Toxic mold weakens your immune system making your body susceptible to a wide variety of diseases. Mold will produce toxic chemicals called mycotoxins that can damage the human body. The mold and spores carry small fragments that are spread through the air attaching to anything that is wet and contains a food source. Concentrations of spores, mycotoxins and mold fragments can aggravate allergies like symptoms among other types of flu like illnesses.

Sensitized individuals can experience an allergic reaction when repeatedly exposed to mold, mold spores and mildew. Home owners will notice odors and earthy musty smells in most cases of mold and mildew infestation. Mold can come in a multitude of colors causing a wide range effect on humans. Children and the elder with compromised immune systems are at an increased risk of experiencing related mold exposure illnesses and symptoms.

Individuals that suffer from allergies are typically more susceptible and may experience increased levels of allergy related symptoms like runny noses, watery eyes, itchy eyes, breathing difficulties and throat irritation.

Invasive Disease is an uncommon disease in healthy humans. This disease typically affects those with HIV /AIDS or patients under a doctor’s care receiving immunosuppressive drugs for transplants and or chemotherapy. Infants with underdeveloped immune systems and people with pneumonia or bronchitis should use caution if you believe you may have been exposed to toxic mold. Muncor Mold, Aspergillus Mold Cladosporium Mold and Rhizopus Molds are molds and fungi that are common in the environment and known to be associated with invasive diseases.

Individuals that have been diagnosed with an illness or believe they have been exposed to any type of toxic or non-toxic mold should seek out medical attention immediately. Health effects from mold are a serious concern that should not be taken lightly. Health problems that appear to be related to the direct exposure to toxic mold should be evaluated immediately by a medical professionals who have studied and been trained in the exposure of molds, mold Spores, toxic mold and fungi. Occupational and environmental medical specialist will be able to determine the severity of the exposure and a determine a course of action. Do not return to the dwelling until the facility has been evaluated by a professional toxic mold specialist and the mold results are in, mold issue has been resolved before reentering the dwelling. Health effects of toxic mold can be devastating and should not be taken lightly.

By: Bradley Skierkowski