Mold is a familiar word to all of us. But just exactly what is it? First of all, it is a fungus and usually grows where it is wet, dark, and damp; places like attics, basements, and garages. The way mold spreads is by spores in the air. It is amazing but there are over 300,000 kinds of mold. A common mold in the home is a black mold called stachybotrys. Mold is categorized by types. There are toxigenic, pathogenic, and allergenic.
People who are allergic to molds typically display symptoms of people suffering from pollen allergies such as trees, grasses, and weeds. These can be sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, runny nose, and sometimes a rash. If you have inhaled mold spores and are coughing brown specks, you should notify your doctor to get treatment.
Pathogenic molds are molds that cause disease. People who are elderly, infants, and those with a compromised immune system are most likely to be infected. Once your immune system is infected by high doses of mold you can contract hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which is a lung infection caused by fungus. Symptoms include coughing, shortness of breath, chills, body aches, and fever. Bottom line is that if you are around mold, be alert to any symptoms your body is sending you and get treated before it becomes severe.
The third division of mold is the mycotoxin allergenic. They are the disastrous of all and can cause not only illness but death. Toxogenic molds can get into your body several ways. Some enter through your skin, eyes, lungs, and digestive track. The bad thing is there is not really a treatment for this type of mold but you can thoroughly wash your skin and eyes with a saline solution which is a salt solution. At any rate, still call your doctor to let him know what happened.
In any event, if you have discovered mold in your home or work place, report it immediately to the proper authorities or regulatory body. Mold is nothing to play with. Be safe and know your mold facts.
By: Bradley Skierkowski