Toxic Mold, fungi and mildew can be a disaster to the structure and integrity of a building. Not to mention the health factors associated with the growth of toxic mold. Mold and fungi can originate from many different sources. Mold growth in a home or structure can be caused from a number of different factors. Listed below are just a few examples of common causes of mold infestation.
1) Damp or sweating water pipes can build puddles and mold will form.
2) Leaks from water pipes in the wall and ceiling can flood areas.
3) Bathroom mold and mildew can build up and spread through walls and floors.
4) Frozen water pipes burst and flood areas soaking into floors and drywall.
5) Storm damage is a more common type of flooding causing mold growth.
6) Fire damage is probable one of the worst types of water damage.
7) Wet basement or a cracked foundation allowing water to enter the structure.
8) Flood damage from toilets and or showers can flood low areas of the structure.
9) Leaking roof or missing shingles will allow water to creep into undetectable areas.
You can purchase a do it yourself mold kits at your local hardware store for a general idea. Mold inspectors are always the safest way to ensure that your home is free of mold. Mold inspectors are trained and will be qualified to identify most types of mold and give you a better understanding and an idea if mold remediation is the course of action that will be required and should be taken. A qualified mold inspector will inspect your building or structure in a way that will conform to the local code of mold inspectors and remediation associations if one exist.
A good mold remediation inspector will thoroughly inspect all areas of possible mold infestation. Toxic black mold can grow behind trim molding, under carpet, under laminate flooring and behind crown molding. Basements are a great area for mold to grow. Typical basements are dark, damp and wet areas. A prime area for mold to start growing, spreading through your home or structure.
Early detection of mold is very important in limiting the exposure and damage that can be caused if left unattended. Damp areas should be dried out immediately if at all possible. De-humidifiers should be installed and all windows and vents should be left open. Fans should be used to circulate the area as well as possible. Any movement of air will help to remove the damp humid air. Any items that are wet and or damp should be removed.
In the event that the wall are constructed of drywall or plaster board and have sustained a substantial amount water obsorption, a portion of the wall should be removed and the insulation should be inspected for damp water soaked areas. In the event that the areas are wet, the insulation should be removed immediately to assist in drying the area.
Mold inspectors will give you the satisfaction of knowing that your home and living environment is clean and free of toxic mold, safe for you and your family.
By: Bradley Skierkowski