Mold Prevention and Control

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

We all need water to live. We use it to wash our bodies clean our floors and flush our toilets. The only down side to water is when it leaks or spills into our home, school or place of business.  Water damage is one of the most costly time consuming disasters you can have happen.   Unattended water spills and or water leaks can be a disaster for a property owner. Mold, fungi, moisture can all lead to unnecessary costly repairs. Mold can start in the smallest of areas and spread like wild fire throughout the entire building rendering the building condemned and uninhabitable costing the property owner a fortune in required repairs bringing the property back up to local building code. Avoid mold at all cost and in the event you have a water leak, act as quickly as possible and contain the leak as soon as possible.  If wet and flooded areas are dried out within the first 24 to 48 hours mold will typically not grow in most cases. Open windows and vents, turn on air conditioners, de humidifiers and fans to help and assist in moisture removal.   In the case where high humidity and condensation are collecting causing fungi and mold to form. Acting quickly is the key to success. Stabilize the humidity levels in the room turn on air conditioners and or de humidifiers. Wipe down all wet pipes, windows and areas of condensation with a dry towel.  Any wet surfaces should be wiped down immediately. Indoor humidity should be kept below 60% if possible, 30% to 50% is an ideal range.   All bathrooms should be fitted with a bathroom approved exhaust fan designed for the area and size of the bathroom being constructed. The bathroom vents should always be used when showering. Vents and windows should be left open to reduce moisture. Vented appliances that produce humidity and moisture should be vented to the outside removing humidity from the structure. Clothes dryer vents produce moisture and should always be vented to the outside of the structure.   Humidity can be measured by purchasing a small humidity or moisture device at your local hardware store for about $20 to $30. These devices are relatively inexpensive and easy to use. In most cases the growth of mold is clearly visible and easy to spot. You can also purchase a mold spore test kits at your local hardware store. Regardless of the test kit readings, It is always a good idea to call a professional for a thorough inspection in any case where you think you may have mold growing in your home. Mold is a very serious issue and can have devastating effects on you and the environment if untreated. Be active and aware of your surroundings. Learn to spot the signs of mold before it takes over.   Remember, mold is an important part of our eco system helping the environment in breakdown organic matter such as trees, leave and other natural material that we naturally accumulate. Mold is everywhere and we need to learn to live with it safely.

  By: Bradley Skierkowski