Toxic Black Mold Symptoms

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Mold, mildew or fungi are found in virtually all aspects of the environment and are for the most part harmless to humans. Toxic black mold on the other hand can have serious effects on the human body and is typically found to develop best or grow in damp humid areas combined with moderate temperatures and sufficient sunlight. Toxic black mold will grow on virtually anything ranging from the walls in a cellar, wood, cloths, food, furniture, and carpet. The mold or fungi are not confined only to wood and furniture but will also thrive in areas like equipment used for ventilation, heating and air conditioning duct work.

Moisture and humidity are the most important factors in the growth of mold. Indoor humidity ideally should be kept at a relative 60% and at an ideal range of 30% to 50%. Humidity can be measured with an inexpensive moisture analyzer that can be purchased at your local hardware store. Mold test kits are also readily available and can be purchased at your locally giving you some indication of the presence of mold. If in any doubt, contact a local mold professional for a thorough inspection of you residence ensuring the non existence of toxic black mold.

Mold, after initial formation, will cause Volatile Organic Compounds or VOC’s to form. This is caused by the mold degrading of the surface that it is growing on. Toxic black mold poisoning can produce many different types of symptoms ranging from serious respiratory problems, savvier coughs, bleeding in the lungs, Nausea, red eyes, alter blood pressure and memory loss just to name a few. Prolonged levels of VOC’s or toxic mold exposure at high levels can lead to infertility in humans.

Black mold can be controlled by maintaining the relative humidity of the environment and by monitoring the moisture levels. Pay close attention to heating and air conditioning systems including the duct work will ensure mold is kept at bay.

Bathrooms are the more common mold prone parts of your home. Mold can form on tile, shower curtains, appliances and under bathroom sinks and basins. Clean bathrooms on a regular basis using effective mold cleaning products. Consider using an air purifier reducing airborne particles containing mold spores. When painting a room that is susceptible to mold, consider using a paint that has a anti mold or mold inhibitor additive. Products such as these are readily available and can help prevent a toxic mold outbreak.

Inspect your home, residence or place of business regularly for the presence of mold. Inspect external, below grade and basement walls for any sigh of mold or dampness. Be mindful of the possibility that mold can form in the most unlikely of places. Invest in a good de-humidifier and check moisture levels on a regular basis. The cost of mold prevention is cheap compared to the cost of mold remediation. Not to mention the dangerous negative health effects of mold formation.

By: Bradley Skierkowski