Mold will from many different areas where dampness and moisture is found. Typically mold will start to grow where there is little or no ventilation. Water and moisture are trapped and blocked from escaping in areas such as soffits, eves and overhangs that aren’t vented properly and may be blocked by debris or other forms of scrap building material left over from the initial construction phase of the home.Newer constructed homes are more likely to form mold and fungi that older homes because of the many improvements and advances in home construction. Newer improvements in engineering are making new homes stronger, better insulated and more energy efficient than older homes. This also works against us as that the newer homes are unable to breath as well as the older homes trapping condensation causing moisture to build up and cause mold and mildew to grow..
Other forms of condensation leading to the growth of mold in attics can be contributed to water leaking from improperly installed flashing around chimneys and venting areas of the roof. Water leaks in and causes condensation to build trapped in areas without ventilation causing mold to go out of control.
Ensure all vents leading through the attic of the house to outside of the home are securely fastened and leak proof. Air conditioning systems can leak onto the insulation in the attic and form toxic mold dangerous to humans and to the environment.
Attic ventilation is the number one cause of mold and fungi in attics. Ventilation is critical to a safe dry humid free attic in the winter or summer season.
Because knowledge is the best way to combat mold and fungi in your attic or other parts of your home, be sure to educate yourself in all aspects of mold awareness, control and remediation. Inspection and awareness is the key to mold prevention and to maintain the safety of your home and your family. In the event you believe you may have discovered mold in your attic or other areas of your home, be sure to address the problem immediately. Allowing mold to grow will only prolong the inevitable. Some level of remediation will be required at some point. The best way to start would be with a do it yourself sample mold test kit that you can purchase on the internet or at a local hardware store. This will give you some indication of the type of mold and the extent of infestation if any. If after the test is positive, always contact a mold professional immediately. After an inspection has been completed by a mold professional, you will have a better idea of the severity and the level of infestation not to mention the damage and repair costs involved. Some levels of mold can be treated by the home owner and a do it yourself kit with the proper guidance and trained supervision. To play it safe always consult with a trained mold and remediation technician for the best and safest results. Remember, if mold is not treated properly, its only a matter of time before the problem returns.
By: Bradley Skierkowski