Health effects andToxic Black Mold

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Health effects of Toxic Black Mold

This article is intended to help the reader identify and protect their home and family against the Toxic effects of Black Mold, the truth about toxic mold syndrome and mycotoxin testing.

Mold is a microscopic organism that comes from spores, when exposed to the right environment the spores breed mold and fungi. Mold can be found inside and outside of our homes. We are surrounded by mold and fungi; it contributes to our eco system and helps to balance our environment. No one knows how many types of mold exist. Researchers’ best guess is 300,000 or more different types of mold exist. Mold can survive in almost any environment, but grows best in wet, damp areas with high humidity. Some of the more common types of mold are Alternaria, Cladosporium, and Penicillium.

Mold and mildew effects people in many ways. Some people are more sensitive than others. For people that are sensitive to mold, minor to server symptoms can be experienced. People more sensitive to mold experience symptoms such as eye redness, skin irritation, pneumonia and bleeding of the lungs and in some cases death can occur. Researchers have found that there is sufficient evidence to link over exposure to mold may cause respiratory lung problems in people that are usually healthy. People with asthma conditions can become worse and even hospitalized from over exposure of mold.

People with asthma or sensitive immune systems should stay clear of areas that may be prone to mold and mildew. Keeping humidity levels at low levels between 40% and 60% are ideal. Ensure the bathrooms and shower areas are well ventilated is very important in the reduction of mold and mildew. Never lay carpet in a bathroom or a basement. Clean bathrooms on a regular basis, is a great way of keeping mold and mildew at bay. Open windows our use exhaust fan when showering. Keep air moving with ceiling fans and air conditioners is very important. Keep doors and windows open when possible. Dehumidifiers are important in the reduction of humidity and moisture in our homes. Ceiling fans are a great way to ensure air movement reducing musty odors and smells.

Bleach will not kill mold, it will only remove mold and the stains that molds leaves behind. One cup of bleach to one gallon of water is the common bleach solution for most house hold cleaning applications. Never mix bleach with ammonia or other cleaning products; this will result in the production of dangerous toxic fumes. Follow the manufactures directions listed on the bottle for use and restrictions.

Play it safe and stay away from areas of high mold exposure like old musty houses that have been closed up for long periods of time. Barns and greenhouses are great breeding grounds for mold and mildews. If you’re in the market for a new home make a mold test part of the inspection process. Mold remediation is very expensive and a little preventive mold testing will go a long way.

By: Bradley Skierkowski