Black Mold

From Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Black Mold

Probably the most feared words to a home owner these days are “black mold.’ We have all heard horror stories of homes having to be practically torn down and rebuilt to get rid of the mold. Now in the summer black mold will thrive because of the heat and humidity. However, that is not it. As winter arrives and it get colder outside the warmth and the moisture in the home can also cause black mold growth. It is a sure thing that a solution is needed for black mold that is effective but affordable.

toxic black mold in a basement wall

The first thing to do if you think your home may have black mold is to positively identify it. Then, make a very thorough inspection of your house. As soon as you see it and the extent of the mold, start treating it right away to stem the spread. There are many black mold treatments you can buy and even companies that will come in and rid you of black mold. However, the price can be steep. The great thing is that you can make a cheap, effective cleaner at home. Most things you buy will contain ammonia, so it would be good to buy a plastic spray bottle and mix it with chlorine bleach and water. Don’t use an old ammonia bottle because even a little ammonia mixed with chlorine causes chlorine gas that can be deadly, especially in a closed house. In your new spray bottle put one half cup of bleach to one gallon of water to make your black mold cleaner. Now you have a solution for black mold that will last around three months. Just remember to shake it and get the two ingredients mixed before you use it after sitting.

This solution does have a negative aspect. Since the main cleaner is bleach, things like wallpaper, paint, fabrics, and paper may not fair well if this mixture is used. In that case, avert back to ammonia and water and you will find this will work as well on those things.

So remember, you can treat black mold with “green mixtures” and they will usually work almost as good as your store bought solutions and save you money in the process.

Caution: Mold is toxic and dangerous. Mold can cause severe health problems and even death. It is important to always consult a professional when mold is

discovered in your home.

By: Bradley Skierkowski
 

Personal tools