Bed Bugs, Mold and Dust Mites

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Bed Bugs, Mold and Dust Mites

When is the last time you looked closely at or thought about cleaning your mattresses? If we feel it’s time for a new mattress, we purchase a new one and get rid of our used mattresses either by throwing them away or giving them to someone else. The mattress we gave to someone else may not have been all that sanitary and what we end up doing is contaminating another home with whatever was living on the used mattress. Soiled mattresses can harbor a lot of disease due to organisms living on them. These organisms are bed bugs, dust mites, and molds.

First, bed bugs are insects that receive their nourishment from the blood of people and warm blooded animals. Right now, researchers believe bed bugs to not pass along any diseases. Bed bugs, though, leave behind itchy bumps that can become swollen and infected due to excessive itching. Besides physical discomfort, bed bugs are the cause of many sleepless nights and individuals become anxious and on edge. They prefer to take up residence on furniture, mattresses, and areas close to where you sleep at night. Bed bugs suck your blood at night and rest during the day. Bed bugs need to be eliminated as soon as possible because they spread so easily. Diatomaceous earth is a natural powder that destroys bed bugs soon after they travel through the substance. It slices through their exoskeletons and leaves them to dehydrate and die. Be sure to purchase food grade diatomaceous earth; other forms are not as safe to use and can be harmful if breathed in.

Dust mites are extremely small insects that reside and feast on dead skin cells that our bodies and the bodies of our pets cast off. They may appear to be innocent, but one dust mite excretes waste twenty times a day containing proteins that causes people to have allergic reactions and can even trigger an asthma attack in those who suffer from the lung disease.

Molds are fungi that thrive inside of and outside of your home. They prefer mild, moist, and humid areas. There is a surplus of molds and a lot of different species. Some can cause severe health issues while others are less threatening. Some typical symptoms are coughing, sneezing, sore throat, nose mucus draining down your throat, burning in your chest, wheezing, stomach pains, migraines, vomiting, difficulty seeing, difficulty remembering, tiredness, and nose bleeds.

Some serious symptoms are cancer, seizures, anaphylaxis, problems with fertility, and an abnormal heart rhythm. Be cognizant that not everyone develops all of these symptoms. Infants, old people, and those with compromised immune systems are more prone to develop the more severe symptoms. If you have a problem with mold in your home you need to get rid of it as soon as possible. There are products on the market that use natural ingredients to effectively eliminate mold. They are safe to use around young children and even your pets.

Two of the well-known types of mold are Aspergillus spp and Stachybotrys chartarum. Aspergillus spp is the most prevalent fungi in our environment, in fact there are over 160 various types. If you are exposed to them for any extended period of time you can develop things such as skin rashes, hair loss, and nausea. Stachybotrys chartarum is a green/black mold that feels like slime and can be discovered inside your home where there is water damage. These molds can thrive in any area, such as under wallpaper, and in back of walls and under ceiling tiles. This kind of mold gives off poisonous mycotoxins. When breathed in on a regular basis, these fungi can bring about flu like symptoms, migraines, seizures, acid reflux, and various other symptoms.

Molds can be broken down into three types, which are allergenic, mycotoxic, and pathogenic. Allergenic molds are not harmful to our health in small quantities but can cause some to experience allergy and asthma like symptoms. Mycotoxic molds are notorious for causing severe health issues ranging from skin irritations, cancer, auto-immune diseases, and even loss of life. Pathogenic molds also evoke life threatening heath issues in individuals with compromised immune systems. For instance those who have cancer are susceptible to developing life threatening health issues. You need to see your doctor as soon as possible is you are experiencing any of these symptoms.

It is critical to inspect your home and other buildings for bed bugs, mold, and dust mites. They are in all areas of your home from your attic to your cellar. Your health can be at risk if these problems are not resolved.

By: Bradley Skierkowski