Black Mold on ceiling tiles
Black Mold on ceiling tiles
This article is a will help the reader indentify and to isolate dangerous black toxic mold growing on ceiling tiles cracks and crevices. Black toxic mold is especially dangerous to homes that are newer in construction and located in high humidity prone areas of the country. Newer built homes are built better and breathe less than older homes allowing condensation to accumulate creating a breeding ground for spores and mold growth. Mold spores will travel miles through the air interring your home through windows, doors and passageways lying dormant until eventually coming into contact with nutrient levels enabling them to produce toxic molds of all types. Molds will begin to grow when given the proper nutrition consisting of typically, cellulose products in the form of paper, ceiling tiles and moisture in the form of water or humidity. Basements are a haven for spores and a toxic mold growth. Ceiling tiles are more prone to be installed in the basements and other damp areas of our homes making the susceptible to mold growth.
Moisture control is the key to mold prevention in any home. Always keep a watchful eye out for wet spots on your ceiling tiles. Water pipes will sweating, producing condensation and dripping on ceiling tiles causing water damage. Damp spots on a ceiling tile could be from the result of a roof flashing that has become loose allowing the water to drip into the home. Humidity and condensation will form around windows and doors dripping into your home.
Dehumidifier is a great investment. A dehumidifier running in a damp basement can create a maintenance task of dumping the water on a daily basis. Some of the newer systems can be purchased with water hose that you can connect and direct the water into a floor or sink drain, elimination the daily task of empting the dehumidifier reservoir. Take every precaution to prevent dampness and condensation formation in your basement. It will eliminate musty smells, odors and greatly reduce the possibility of mold growth.
Ceiling fans are a great way of increasing air circulating throughout your home preventing air from becoming stale and stagnate. Cold window surfaces can become damp with condensation allowing molds to form. Wiping windows down on a regular basis will help to reduce the presence of moisture.
Consider mold resistant ceiling tiles. There a great idea for the home owner that wants to go a little further in the fight against toxic mold and mildew. Mold resistant ceiling tiles are water resistant; they will not stain or brown. They can be taken down and power washed. Mold resistant ceiling tiles are defiantly something to consider. Remember, untreated mold and mildew on ceiling tiles can eventually turn into black toxic mold causing the home owner serious water and structural damage costing thousands in repairs not to mention the dangerous side effects of mold exposure to humans. There are serious health related hazards known to be caused by spores and mold growth. Illness caused by mold can range from headaches, nausea, rashes and allergy like symptoms. In some cases exposure to mold can provoke asthma attacks especially in children and the elderly. In more serious cases can include symptoms including bleeding from the lungs, pneumonia and internal problems with the human liver and kidneys.
By: Bradley Skierkowski