Mold on Vinyl Siding
Mold on Vinyl Siding
This article is designed to help educate the reader on identifying mold and mildew on vinyl siding and to address the hazards of allowing mold and mildew to go untreated.
Vinyl siding was a great hassle free invention created for the exterior of homes and buildings alike. Vinyl siding has very few draw backs. The product has a long life span, is very durable and easy to install. Unfortunately, even with a UV sun protestant added to the manufacturing process, over time vinyl siding will usually become dingy looking and dirty. Especially in southern states where the humidity is seasonally high mold and mildew will set in growing on the exterior of the vinyl siding eventually leading to green fungus, black fungus and even black mold. If not treated and removed promptly, the seemingly harmless black mold and mildew can spread to various parts of the interior of the structure causing expensive costly repairs not to mention a potentially dangerous hazard to you family and pets.
There is a solution, mold and mildew can be easily removed from vinyl siding with little effort. There are many products on the market that will claim to be the strongest or the best. Ensure that you are buying from a company that will stand behind their product with a money back guarantee.
Ensure that you are purchasing a product that will effectively kill black mold and mildew on contact. This will ensure that the mold and mildew will most likely not spread to other parts of the structure infesting you home. All though most mold products are not harmful or damaging to vinyl siding, ensure that you treat a small area first to make sure there is no damage or color fading to your vinyl siding. Safety is always first, remember to read the instructions on any products that you use, especially products that can be toxic to humans. Safety and protection of the body are key to a mold removal success story. Remember to protect your eyes with goggles or some type of full face shield protection. Were long pants and shirts and never mix products of any type in a non vented area. Cover all electrical out lets exposed to the exterior of the home, water and electric do not mix well together. Cover all shrubs and trees that may be in danger of being sprayed with a tin plastic sheet that can be purchased at any local hardware store.
Attach a pleasure washer and rinse the surface of the area to be cleaned with water in 4 foot increments and never apply chemicals to dry siding unless directed to so by the manufactures directions on the label. Begin application at the bottom of the siding closest to the ground or grade level moving upward. Use a soft sponge or brush to scrub the siding until the mold and mildew is removed from your home. Rinse well with clean water and repeat if necessary.
Washing down your home annually will make the job allot easier the following year not to mention get you off the couch and out into the yard. Check back for other articles regarding the control or removal of black mold and mildew.
By: Bradley Skierkowski